Calming Jars are a simple and effective tool to make and use with your kid’s at home or school.
They are a great visual aid to support children with connecting with their breath or using as a timer for achieving a set task such as quiet time, cleaning up or reflection time.
There are various recipes for making your own Calming Jars floating around on the internet but this is our simplified version which we’ve supported kids as young as 3 years old to create.
What you need
- Small jar
- Stickers for decorating
Creating your Calming Jar
- Open jar and fill 3/4 full with water
- Pour glitter into jar. We like to use no more than 2 complementary colours for better affect.
- Fill with remaining 1/4 of water. Make sure you leave a gap between the jar rim and lid.
- Tightly close jar lid.
- Decorate jar with stickers. Encourage children to leave gaps so they can see their glitter moving in the jar.
- Shake glitter jar and admire your work
I would love to know what tools, strategies and resources you use to live more mindfully with the children in your life. Feel free to share your resources or ask any questions in the comments below.